Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Richard Adams RIP

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Reader, 31 Dec 2016.

1. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Watership Down, a beautiful and haunting tale of rabbits, their culture and their many ways to die, set in the gorgeous and now vanishing countryside of Wiltshire.

Shardik, a tale of a hunter propelled to ranks behind belief, his descent and loss of everything, and final redemption all from one fateful encounter with a great bear.

Plague Dogs, two dogs determined to escape the testing lab and find their owner, one too hurt to believe men can be kind, the other ever-loyal...

Richard Adams, author of these and so many others passed away aged 96. He will be much missed but his stories will live on.

RIP.

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

And the brains behind some of the most terrifying and nightmare-inducing kids cartoons ever created. Ok, not him personally, just the people who adapted his stories.

I've only read the first of them, but it was a very good book and there are few as good as describing the English countryside for all those decades ago.

3. Quiet Sun

Quiet Sun New Member

An obvious animal and nature lover with the talent to convey his passions to everyone into very readable and enjoyable tales. Watership is a classic as much as the writer of the tale.

RIP indeed.

4. Miranda

Miranda Member

I don't know why I also think of James Herriot every time I think about Richard Adams, but I guess it has something to do with their love of animals and the English countryside. He will always be remembered for all those beautiful and inspiring stories.

5. HattieMoon

HattieMoon Member

I have fond memories of reading his work when I was in primary school. What an amazing legacy to leave behind. I think I will re-read Watership Down, anyone else planning to?

6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

It's Easter - and the traditional movie for parents to put their kids in front of after lunch as it's a nice cartoon about rabbits.

What could possibly go wrong...:eek: