Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Top 3 Favorite Authors of all time

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Belle, 11 Jan 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belle

Belle Member

I've read a lot of books in my lifetime, and although it would be really hard to choose just a few that I really liked more than others, there are some authors that I know are my favorite. Who are your top 3 favorite authors and why do you like them?

2. Donna

Donna Member

Oh! I have many favorite authors and so many books I haven't read yet Belle. This is a tough question. I think I'll start with Ann McCafferty. American Born and lived in Ireland. I loved her Dragon Riders of Pern Series. Others that come to mind are James Patterson, Nora Roberts . There are just too many that are favorites.

3. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

This is a tough question to answer. For now I'm going with Jane Austen, J.K. Rowling, and Margaret Atwood. I tend to like female authors the best.

4. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

This is always a hard question for me. I tend to love individual books over authors. Two that I'll always give a chance though are J.K. Rowling and Jasper Fforde, though I'm slightly annoyed that it's taking so long to get the next Nursery Crimes novel.

5. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

As a child, my three favorite authors were Laura Ingalls Wilder, Beverly Cleary, and Ann M. Martin. I like J.K. Rowling a great deal, but she hadn't published a book during my childhood years. What about you all?

6. natalie

natalie Member

Oh no, this is both my favorite and least favorite question in the world. I'm going to be an echo and say JK Rowling. I really loved her world-building and how layered her stories are. I'm a big fan of archetypes and she used so many of them yet still made all of those characters and themes seem fresh. I think she has a true gift for characterization. F. Scott Fitzgerald is up there, too. His use of unusual imagery in his metaphors and similes just make my heart sing. I'm also partial to the themes he pretty much always employs, namely the corruption of money, the out-of-grasp American Dream, disillusionment, and hope. He's one of the most quotable authors out there in my opinion. Which leads me to my third, Oscar Wilde. I love his novel, plays, fairy tales, essays, and personal letters. He is just so witty and brilliant. He makes me think and laugh, two things I love to do!

Ellie Jane, I'm with you on Laura Ingalls Wilder. I was obsessed with her books when I was younger. Roald Dahl is another favorite of mine. I'll have to get back to you all on the third.

7. Belle

Belle Member

Mine are George RR Martin, Terry Pratchett and, yes, JK Rowling. The books that these three authors wrote literally changed my life. The series Game of Thrones, although not always portraying events as they happened in the books, continues to captivate and enthrall. I'm just surprised no one thought to turn any of Pratchett's books into movies. I for one would have loved to see the 'Wee Free Men' movie.

8. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett's as well. Some of his Discworld novels have been adapted for film and television. I thought the movie was being developed by Jim Henson and Rhianna Pratchett (the author's daughter). Maybe it fell through though.

9. Belle

Belle Member

I have to do a quick search about that. I would be first in line to see any of Terry Pratchett's work turned into a movie. I don't know how it is some authors find the path to success (like JK Rowling) while others who are equally talented stay virtually unknown...

10. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Given we try to promote indie authors and get lesser known works out into the public eye:

Who are your top three Indie authors?

11. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Closed. This thread has nothing to do with Indie authors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.