Quantcast

Where do you find inspiration?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Zelda, 3 Apr 2018.

1. Zelda

Zelda Member

They say that writing inspiration is all around us. Where do you find yours?

I love looking at writing prompt tumblrs or pulling out my copy of The Pocket Muse whenever I'm really lacking inspiration for plot/subplot ideas. Sometimes I'll find inspiration for a story in the local newspaper, television shows, or books I'm reading. For characters, I usually have a vague idea for them, then take a Myers-Briggs test, and try to flesh them out from there. I don't follow it exactly or anything, but sometimes I'll have strong reactions when reading about a certain trait and realize it has nothing (or everything) to do with my character. Wikipedia, maps, and Atlas Obscura are some of my favorite places to find inspiration for settings.

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

A Myers-Briggs test for fleshing out a character. That's a genius idea given the type of questions they always have.

Just respond in your characters' voice and how you think they would react to give an idea of what they are like.

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

I love the idea of using a Myers-Briggs test for character development. There are a lot of neat personality quizzes out there like that. The Enneagram test might be even better since it gives information about what Enneagram your character might be at their best and worst in addition to their normal state.

Atlas Obscura is amazing. I get inspired every single time I visit that site.

4. penumbra

penumbra Member

I love taking tests and quizzes to find out more about my character because sometimes I have a hard time coming up with questions to properly interview them myself. I usually use that more for development though, not necessarily inspiration. Movies and shows inspire me a lot. I'll also search #AmWriting on Twitter when I'm in need of some extra juice.

5. PageTurner

PageTurner Member

Movies, shows, books, etc., are all great forms of inspiration. I think my favorite source has to be history though. I have scores of textbooks here that I browse through whenever I'm lacking inspiration.