Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you find inspiration?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Zelda, 3 Apr 2018.

1. Zelda

Zelda New Member

They say that writing inspiration is all around us. Where do you find yours?

I love looking at writing prompt tumblrs or pulling out my copy of The Pocket Muse whenever I'm really lacking inspiration for plot/subplot ideas. Sometimes I'll find inspiration for a story in the local newspaper, television shows, or books I'm reading. For characters, I usually have a vague idea for them, then take a Myers-Briggs test, and try to flesh them out from there. I don't follow it exactly or anything, but sometimes I'll have strong reactions when reading about a certain trait and realize it has nothing (or everything) to do with my character. Wikipedia, maps, and Atlas Obscura are some of my favorite places to find inspiration for settings.

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

A Myers-Briggs test for fleshing out a character. That's a genius idea given the type of questions they always have.

Just respond in your characters' voice and how you think they would react to give an idea of what they are like.