Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Prompt

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Bookangel, 21 Oct 2017.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

For a bit of fun, here's a writing prompt. This will close on 1st December. If it's popular, I will put them up monthly. To enter, write a story/excerpt of 500 words and post it in the thread. The one with most likes wins and gets 100 diamonds. (Yes, normal posting rules do apply).

The challenge
    Begin your story with:

"You shouldn't have heard that."

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Let's get this one rolling...

"You shouldn't have heard that." Lena gasped as Bobby turned round on her angrily. "You should have stayed at home, like the good little woman you are supposed to be. Instead I'm going to have to make sure that no-one else hears it."

Raising a fist, Bobby grimaced, "I hate to do this, you were such a good secretary. Hell, I might even have bought you in on it in a year or two, but listening in on phone calls that don't concern you is going to be your last mistake."

Lena backed off waving her hands in the air, "Please, you don't understand, it was an accident, I didn't mean it." Then she realised that she was backed against the wall, with the door a few feet to the left of her.

Her quick look was spotted by Bobby, who quickly moved to remove any possibility of escape that way. As he was a foot taller and wider, he considered how quickly he could end it, dispose of her and catch a flight. He would need to make a couple of calls, a few people owed him favours but making his secretary just vanish was a problem. The only benefit was that she had already been seen leaving three hours ago.

That puzzled him, but not enough to stop him from doing what was necessary. He lunged at her, grabbing at her blouse, and swinging one fist hard at her head. Lena's hand flashed out, blocking the swinging arm, and followed by a sharp step with a high heel on the inside of Bobby's knee.

Bobby crumpled as his leg gave way, the stiletto embedded behind the kneecap, which was only made worse when Lena twisted her stance and drove it further in. With a cry of pain, Bobby's grip released on her front and he sunk to the floor in tears clutching at his knee. The pain was more than enough to drive the breath from his lungs and he wheezed in shock unable to say or do much.

Lena stepped back, nerves on fire and waiting for another attack, although judging by the state Bobby was in, he was not going to be doing anything further for the next few minutes.

She moved across to the desk, where the phone she had been listening in on had been placed. "Did you get all that?" she called into the receiver. "Please send assistance and an ambulance. Mr Rodgers is going to need it." She hung up, knowing her colleagues at the other end of the line would have taped the entire call.

"My apologies my Rodgers, perhaps I should introduce myself. Agent Lena McCallum - Ops Team Gamma. You're right, you know, I shouldn't have heard that call even though it gave you away. And I was telling the truth, it was an accident. I didn't mean to be caught by you. Don't worry, it will be your last mistake."