Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

A movie is a novel

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Alexandoy, 21 Mar 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy New Member

When I started joining scriptwriting workshops, I had a terrible time because my orientation is the short story. The movie script is composed of 100 sequences on the average and that’s a mighty long one to stretch with a short story. Our workshop instructor helped me in expanding my plot. That’s where I learned that a plot needed characters and events to move plus different settings to make it more interesting. I also learned to describe a character in full. With the setting, that is one difficult aspect for me because my focus is in the story itself and not much on the setting which was important. Fortunately, I was able to adjust and later I was joining scriptwriting contests.

2. tirial

tirial Member

What have you sold so far? Any indie films we should look up?

3. Quiet Sun

Quiet Sun New Member

That's what I like about writing. just when you think you know everything about style and formatting, you learn that there is another form you can learn.

From what I understand though, scriptwriting has to have more detail because you are describing scenes for the purpose of them one day being put in visual form. It's an interesting craft, for sure.

4. littlesister

littlesister New Member

Wow, congratulations on the movie! In my experience with books that were turned into movies, sometimes the plot suffers due to what the director thinks the audience wants. Sounds like you have it covered. Don't let them ruin your writing.

Donna likes this.
  5. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

That sounds like you took a good opportunity to challenge yourself and learn something new, Quiet Sun. I've never been good at describing the scene either. I have to continue reminding myself that the audience cannot peer into my mind to see what I'm trying to show.

6. Donna

Donna Member

You are correct littlesister. I always encourage my students to read the book before they watch the movie. Movies leave so much out. I want the students to know there's more to the story than what they see on the screen.