Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Okay to share writing without creator's permission?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Ellie Jane, 18 Oct 2017.

1. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

Is it ever okay to share another writer's work without their express permission? Do you it's okay to enter a writer's work in a contest without their prior consent? For the writers in the group, do you consider your writing to be a sacred, private thing?

2. Terry

Terry Member

Well, copyright and free use when it comes to sharing or reprinting work has fairly defined limits about what is and isn't permissible.

I've not been in the situation, but I would like to think I would ask for permission first before sharing. Also, I really don't think it is acceptable to enter their work without them knowing.

3. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

MOD NOTE: As many contests require you to give out rights to the work as part of entry, entering a writer's work without their consent or knowledge can be a legal issue. Unless you are their agent or publisher, I would suggest you don't.

4. Donna

Donna Member

That's what I though Bookangel. It's only common courtesy to get permission before using anyone's work, copyrighted or not. Encourage the person to submit their work themselves.

5. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

If the author is going to have to deal with the results, it only seems fair to make sure they consent first. This is especially true of awards that require the winner to undertake PR duties or give up the use of their likeness.

6. Anna

Anna Member

I feel like they do this sort of thing a lot on television and movies, which makes it seem okay and like a good idea. I don't really think it is in reality, even without the legal issues that could arise. I think writing is a private experience and not everyone writes for other people to read, you know?

7. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Personally, I would be pretty miffed if someone took it upon themselves to enter my work into a contest or for publication without my knowledge. Partially because something can always be polished beforehand, but mainly because it's my work and I get to decide what happens to it.

Ellie Jane, is that something you've experienced?