Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Who reads your writings

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Julia, 5 Sep 2017.

1. Julia

Julia Member

When you write something who is the first to read it? Do you let a family member or friend read it first before sending it in for publishing? I like to let my mother read what I write first because she is always honest about what she thinks of it. A friend of mine writes but doesn't let anyone read any of it. How about you? Who is the first to read your writings?

2. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Most of what I write has never seen the light of day. I shared my first "novel" with a boyfriend once, but he never read it. At one point, I joined a free online writing community, but I don't think I ever posted anything. I'm too scared. Maybe someday.

3. Donna

Donna Member

Someone who will give an honest opinion needs to be the first reader. I've sent several pieces of work off to be published and never heard a word. Some were sent back but had no explanation. Put your work out there Jordan. You never know what will happen.

4. Anna

Anna Member

I haven't finished anything just yet but I know that when I do, I'll definitely want other people looking over it before I submit it in for publishing. I have a few friends I would let read it because they're big readers and I value their opinion. I'd probably let family members read it over as well but moreso because I think they would get their feelings hurt if I didn't let them (at least pretend) to read it. Other than my mom, none of them are big readers though. I think I'd want to find some beta-readers on the internet or in some kind of local writer's group, just to get some totally unbiased opinions.

I'm totally with you Jordan, I'm scared of letting anyone read my work. I'm hoping that I'll be more confident once I finally write something to completion though.