Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Writer's notebooks

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by natalie, 13 Dec 2017.

1. natalie

natalie Member

Does anyone here have one of those really fancy writer's notebooks with all of your story ideas, character drafts, research info, outlines, diagrams, mind maps, photos for inspiration, etc.? I love lusting over them on Pinterest but I never seem to be able to keep everything in one notebook. My things are scattered everywhere. Here are some examples!

Ellie Jane likes this.
  2. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

I have notebooks all over the place, though none of them are what I would call "fancy." I try to keep some sort of notebook with me but notes, ideas, quotes are just as likely to end up on a scrap piece of paper or a sticky note. I do have a folder that I try to keep everything in, though it might be time to upgrade to an accordion organizer.

natalie likes this.
  3. Belle

Belle Member

My ideas come to me at odd times and sometimes my notebook isn't within reach so I just use whatever is handy. I have a file filled with random pieces of paper, receipts, napkins and so on. Mostly I record my ideas on my phone.

natalie likes this.
  4. tirial

tirial Member

I love the really decorated ones that Waterstones and Smiths have in, with the complex metallic covers, but they look too good to write in. I never have one at hand when I need one, so mainly I just use scraps of paper (and pray I don't lose them!)

natalie likes this.
  5. Donna

Donna Member

It is difficult to keep everything in one place. I do try to keep a small notebook with me at all times to jot down notes and ideas so I can transfer them to a larger notebook when I get home. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

natalie likes this.
  6. natalie

natalie Member

It sounds like you all are about the same as me!

@Jordan, "fancy" is a relative term anyway. I consider just about any notebook fancy as long as it has loads of things in it. I just got an accordion organizer! It makes me feel all professional (yet also unorganized).

@Belle, I totally know that feeling. I rarely write anything down on my phone though but that's only because I am the worst at typing on my phone. It's like watching a 75-year-old type and even then, they're still probably better than me. I think I'm the only person who misses T9.

@tirial, I tried finding them online but failed. If you happen to have a link, please share! The rest of the notebooks are gorgeous. I know what you mean though - sometimes things just feel too fancy to write in.

@Donna, I feel you. It would be a lot easier if I bothered carrying around a purse most of the time.

7. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

Wow, those are some great examples, Natalie. Love the creativity. I don't see how anyone can keep track of their ideas with unbound pages, but I find it interesting. I keep a bullet journal, mainly just to remember what is going on in my life.

Donna likes this.
  8. Belle

Belle Member

I actually meant voice recording, not typing. Whenever I get an idea but I'm in the middle of something and I don't have time to write or type it out, then I just press record and then transcribe the audios at a later time.

9. Donna

Donna Member

I do that too Ellie Jane. I know there are electronic devices that help to organize but I like my planner. I jot all kinds of things down in there. I tried the electronic thing once and it just didn't work. I spent most of my time looking for what I had entered. Ha!

10. natalie

natalie Member

Ellie Jane, it's harder for me with unbound pages, that's for sure. Bullet journals are super pretty too! I lose hours on Pinterest looking at things like that.

Belle, ah, that's even better! I might have to give that a shot sometime.

Donna, the same thing happened to me but I should give it another go. I have a hard time keeping track no matter what system I use.