Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit - well someone had to...

Discussion in 'The Dive' started by Tregaron, 28 Apr 2016.

1. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Rather than avoid the most controversial topic in politics right now, let's wade right in.

Leave or Remain campaigners seem to be getting similar treatment as people pushing religion on the street. I just watched a passerby on the High Street recoil from someone waving a leaflet covered with gold stars in their face. I didn't get close enough to find out if the leaflets were Leave or Remain: it would have been rather like inviting a Jehovah's Witness in for tea and biscuits and I was in a hurry.

I'm on the fence, leaning towards Leave, but I don't think either side are making their case very well.

2. jessica

jessica Active Member

I was in, but I guess it's just, if Cameron has to spend £9M and stretch the rules to tell people it's good thing, is it really? What are they afraid of coming out? I might stay home.

3. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I'm with Newsthump:

‘Are you both trying to lose?’ public asks EU referendum campaigns

So far, the Remain group are looking marginally more desperate with their World War Three claims, and they seem to be the side trying dirty tricks, like the leaflet, the extra £9M spending, and controlling who may be interviewed. I may vote out on the principle that if that is the company Remain keeps, I want no part of it.

4. jessica

jessica Active Member

I just had another government leaflet through the door telling me which way to vote. :( How much are they spending on this?

5. tirial

tirial Member

This morning I had an 'In' leaflet through the door, and then I logged into my email and found a link to Brexit the Movie staring at me.

I've heard from a lot of politicians about how it is the right thing to vote in: just today there's been a former PM who may be slated in Chilcot, a chancellor who got his figures wrong twice, a PM implicated in Panama, and an MP under investigation for election funding saying it is essential we stay in. On that record, I'm swinging towards out.

(And Brexit the Movie is really dull viewing, but probably necessary for anyone who isn't familiar with how the EU Parliament works and its history. If you haven't spent a lot of time dealing with the EU it could be quite a shock.)

6. porridge

porridge Member

Dunno. Guess there's good and bad but since there's a few too many civil servants its a great way to make a whole load redundant at a swipe.

7. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Can't wait for this to all be over. Both sides are as bad as each other and nothing is gonna change no matter which way the vote goes. You still have some politicians at the top making life good for them and screwing the rest of us over.

8. tirial

tirial Member

And the EU tackle the problem of VATMOSS, not by introducing a threshold but by suggesting businesses that can't handle the admin costs should not trade with Europe. As the admin costs are an estimated £4,000 p.a. that excludes a lot of small businesses.

Since there's no free trade with a de facto barrier aimed at small companies, I will be voting out.

9. porridge

porridge Member

10. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

So...where's this flippin apocalypse everyone has been on about?

I mean, its been a few weeks later and the UK hasn't turned into a Dante's Inferno, the only problem being the weather keeps going from gorgeous to crap and back again.

Don't tell me they all lied? :whistle:

11. clair02

clair02 Member

I guess public perception of government and politicians is never going to change until these people start showing a little more responsibility. They say whatever they think we want to hear to get elected, then once they are in, it's all about them and doing whatever they can to line their pockets.

12. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

And the stupid thing is that so many people then complain afterwards that the politicians have lied to them, like they haven't done that to them for the last few elections.

13. jessica

jessica Active Member

All I can say if, if Brexit is so awful, why have I just got a job? :D:D:D

14. djbook

djbook Member

I have nothing good or bad to say about it. I know that the exit process will start at the end of this month. And since its happening by the will of the people, its a great move.