1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Boards

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CatInASuit, December 28, 2015.

1. Alex J. Cavanaugh

Alex J. Cavanaugh New Member

I'm Alex, author, reader, guitarist, and IWSG founder. I really like your emphasis on the smaller press books. Some of the best books I've read in the past couple years have been from blogger buddies who are either with small presses or indie.

Lily and C. Lee McKenzie like this.
  2. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Hi there, welcome aboard.

I've seen what you've done with IWSG and have to agree that anything that can help writers turn out better books is always a good thing.

Lily likes this.
  3. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

Book-loving e-hell refugee saying hello!

To be honest, I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading. There's a family legend about how my parents learned I could read, which goes along the lines of when I was 4, I would sit and read the evening newspaper with my parents (who thought it was so cute that I was pretending to read). Until the day that one of the local "working ladies" who had a nickname "Baby Doll" was arrested. The headline read "'Baby Doll' [surname] arrested". Well, remember, at the time I was a 4yo girl, so clearly this story was of interest. My parents were rather surprised to hear me say, "Mommy, what's a p-r-o-s-t---" Family legend does not record how my parents explained that occupation, alas. I've been reading ever since, and my interests in fiction are pretty wide. The faults that will cause me to stop reading are either snapping my willing suspension of disbelief or the deadly sin being so boring that it leads me to say "I don't care what happens".

Followed the link with the impending demise of the e-hell forums, and I think I could be quite happy here.

I live in southern IL, which is about 280 miles away from Chicago, and even further away in terms of culture. Most of the people in this area would be quite happy if Chicago sank into Lake Michigan. I'm a mother of four--oldest son just graduated from a university here, middle son from the community college (and is now on management track at his place of employment), and then I have twins (son and daughter) who are just finishing up their next-to-last year of high school.

Lily likes this.
  4. TurboRak

TurboRak Guest

Welcome to the Cafe. This is a great place to be, lots of good people here with some good information and you don't have the drama that you see on a lot of forums.

Lily likes this.
  5. daisycross

daisycross New Member

Hi there, part time booklover and looking to find more than just the mainstream.

Hoping to see and get pointers to lots of new things.

Lily likes this.
  6. Lily

Lily Member

Hello, new member here! I'm an avid reader and (rather slow) writer of mainly SF and fantasy. Thanks for having me here, and I hope everyone is keeping safe and well during these strange times.

7. CatInASuit

Hi Lily, great to have you here. I think everyone is doing their best and hoping for it all to be over soon.

So which SF/Fantasy books do you like and, if you don't mind telling, which ones have you written?
    It's always a pleasure to have an author here.

Lily likes this.
  8. Lily

Lily Member

Hi, CatInASuit! (adorable profile pic, btw). Thank you for the lovely welcome! Sorry for replying a bit late; been dealing with a few computer problems.

I don't mind saying :) I'm L. M. Faris (a complete unknown lol) and only have two short stories out so far, which have both been posted on the main site by the nice folks at Bookangel: The Night Weaver (horror/occult) and Before I Fade (SF).

Some all time favourite books are by authors I first read in childhood and that I still reread as an adult, such as Monica Hughes, Louise Cooper, Louise Lawrence, Catherine Fisher, Patricia McKillip, Meredith Ann Pierce. A fair few of them are out of print though :(( Other favourites are Austen, Tolkien, Hardy, Conan Doyle. How about you?

9. CatInASuit

Hi Lily. Good luck with the books and your writing future.

You have named a couple of my favourite authors already, Tolkien and Conan Doyle. Others include David Eddings and Raymond Feist.

Lily likes this.
  10. Lily

Lily Member

Thanks very much!

Raymond Feist is a name I recognise. I read a couple of his books some years ago plus a book that he co-authored, with Janny Wurts I seem to think, although I could be remembering that wrong.

11. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Hello! I'm happy to find a UK-based book site. My name's Caroline, though I go by M.H. for my fiction writing. Much of what I read is speculative fiction or mystery, though I'll consider most things other than erotica or gore.

As for writing, my novels so far fall into a kind of retro SF area that's nearly (but not quite) steampunk. I also write Twitter microfiction.

Other than that, I work in a diagnostic laboratory in London and don't have a lot of time for much else!

12. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome. It's always good to see new faces.

13. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Hi there @MHThaung - welcome aboard.

I have to ask - how does Twitter microfiction work?

14. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Thanks for the welcomes! With Twitter microfiction, there's usually a host who posts a prompt word. We then tweet a story based around that word. It's limited to 280 characters (the size of a tweet), including the related hashtag so it's searchable. The most popular one is #vss365. For example, here's mine from today, where the prompt word was "conversation":

When the rookie arrived at the office, the red-faced detective was on a call. "Very sorry... Won't happen again. Promise."
    Once the #conversation ended, the rookie said, "Sounded awkward. Getting chewed out about our last case?"
    "Er, no. It's my mother's birthday." #vss365

It's a small daily dose of creative inspiration, and fun seeing what other people come up with.
    Edited to add: Anyone can participate. You don't need to be part of a specific group to join in.

15. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Nice story!

I've seen novels tweeted one line at a time with a hashtag, but this one is new to me. It sounds like Flash fiction (50 word stories). I might have a look into those.

16. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Let me know if you give it a go! It's become quite a habit. I check the daily prompt before I head out for work, and by the time I'm in the lab I usually have a story. Once a month I pick my favourites (of my own, I mean), and collate them in a blog post with images (which take longer to create than the stories...) It can get quite addictive!

17. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

That's really cool, I hadn't heard of that before, but it makes sense.

Gives me some new hashtags to go look up.

18. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

#vss365 is the big one, but there are plenty of others. I recommend: #flexvss #weirdvss and #vssmurder. The last one isn't a regular prompt, but they posted for the whole of October, and they pop up on Friday 13 and so on.

19. Hi everyone? My name is Emma, and I'm new here.

I love to read and write. I'm so glad to be here. Thank you for this opportunity.

20. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Hi and welcome! If you love books, you are in the right place. What type of books do you like to read?

Site Sponsors